steph & fitch outfitters

Thursday, February 01, 2007

UNICEF

A couple of months ago, I began talking to the manager for "Education for Development" at UNICEF. I was very interested in her responsibility to help high school students become more aware of development issues and how to get them involved. It has always been a dream of mine to work for UNICEF/United Nations. I really believe that God has given me this opportunity to learn something new. There are so many issues in the world such as environmental degradation, sustainable drinking water in some areas, child poverty, child abuse that it might seem hopeless. But I really think that young people ESPECIALLY high school students have the energy and drive to make a difference. Often people think of high school kids as punks and dumb@sses with too much time on their hands. But I have seen the endless possibilities and potential that high school kids can have when they are motivated to do something. I think we need to encourage the "punks" in our high schools to make a difference. It's when people feel like they are making a difference that leaders are born.

just a quote about UNICEF which I love:
UNICEF is the world’s leader for children, working in 156 countries and territories to save, protect and enhance the lives of girls and boys. UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, promotes quality basic education, protects children from violence, exploitation and AIDS, and is the world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing nations. A global leader in emergencies with six decades of on-the-ground experience, UNICEF saves and rebuilds children's lives in natural disasters and conflict. UNICEF is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from individuals, businesses, foundations, schools, associations and governments.




On another note, I'm sooo thankful for my PAD girlies. they have really been a support system for me this year. It's so good to be with some girls who are so different from each other but yet we seem to understand and support each other. God has really blessed this group and accountability.

I found out that I'll be teaching Grade 8 in a couple of weeks in Newmarket. I'm excited to experience a new class and school. Hopefully it will give me a new perspective on teaching. Ahh, but before that, i'll be busy with applications and recruiting fair :S I know that God will work in his own way and in His own time. i'm just waiting. But sometimes it's so hard for me to be relaxed about my future. (maybe it's part of my type A personality --> i'm such a planner). Oh well, we'll see what happens.

And Ricky, if you're reading this... i miss you! haha... talk to you soon k?



1 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger Emily said...

hi steph!! i can't believe you updated YAY!!! :) :) :) I miss you lots and am glad that you'll be back in Toronto soon!!!! Hope your interviews went awesome yesterday

 

Post a Comment

<< Home